Tried a new recipe today, taking things from other recipes, the traditional simple potatoes and mayo, and then putting in some things I thought would be yummy, like celery and capers. Quite liked the result, so here it is for you to try too.
And go watch “they call me tater salad” stage concert with Ron White. Hilarious comedian.
- 2lbs potatoes (I used russett, skin-on, but use your favorite, and take the skin off if you prefer)
- 1-1/2 cups mayo
- 1/2 cup dijon mustard
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 dill pickle, finely chopped
- 4 Tsp pickle juice
- 1/2 bundle of fresh Dill (about 1/8 of a cup)
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 3 eggs, hard boiled
- Cut potatoes into bite sized pieces, boil until easily pierced with a fork, but not until mushy, or you’ll need to start again!
- Boil eggs, put them in a pot of water, turn heat to high, when water boils, cook for 12 minutes, remove from heat, running under cold water can make them easier to peel
- Drain potatoes into a colander, run under cold water, and set aside to cool a bit
- Combine all ingredients except dill in a bowl large enough to hold potatoes
- Peel eggs, and grate into bowl
- Add 1/2 the potatoes, mix, add the rest of the potatoes, continue to mix.
- Add 1/2 or 3/4 of the dill, stir, taste, continue to stir in dill until you get a good taste, but haven’t over-dilled it.
- Chill for at least an hour before serving