I made this to use in tacos, but it will go well as fajitas or with your choice of sides. As often with my marinades and sauces, I didn't really pre-measure. I based the other ingredient amounts on how much juice I got from the fruit.
- 3 limes, both zest and juice
- 1 lemon, both zest and juice (or one more lime)
- 6 cloves of garlic, grated or finely diced
- 2-4 hot chilies (Habanero or Jalapeño or Serrano) roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Harissa powder (or 1/2 tsp paprika and 1/2 tsp chili powder)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/8 cup neutral oil
- 1 pound flank steak
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl
- Add marinade and flank steak in a resealable bag, squeeze out the air
- Marinate from 6 to 24 hours
- I prefer to cook the marinated flank steak on a grill over medium high heat, 3 minutes on one side, rotate 90 degrees (for hash-shaped grill marks) for 3 minutes, flip and do the same on the second side. Use a meat thermometer to make sure you've hit 125-130. Let rest, covered, for 5 minutes. Slice thinly across the grain.