Easy to make, no lard, Chorizo is a tasty addition, but can be removed for a tasty vegetarian version.
- 4 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb smoked Mexican chorizo (optional, add 2 tsp paprika as a substitute)
- 1/4 white onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans pinto beans, or kidney beans
- 1 to 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a heavy-bottomed pot add olive oil and chorizo. Put the pot over low heat and slowly bring the heat up to medium. Cook the chorizo for a few minutes while stirring to infuse the olive oil.
- Stir in the onion and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the beans with their liquid and stock and simmer to allow the flavors to come together about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove about 1/4 of the beans
- Use a potato masher to mash the beans into a coarse puree.
- Stir in the reserved beans, and serve!
2010-11-27 11:32:44 +0000 UTC