My friend Sean (aka Pelly) casually posted a picture of a “mini grilled cheese” some time ago. I couldn’t get the idea out of my head. I love grilled cheese sandwiches, but let’s face it, butter, cheese, bread. You gotta run a small marathon after eating one to pay for the fat and calories.
But mini griled cheese? Genius.
Make these for a party (or a late night snack, or a mid-day snack, or whatever), one sandwich is maybe two bites of a full-sized sandwich. If you buy the tiny loaves of cocktail bread, the bread is 1/3 the thickness, so I make it about a bite and a half.
- Cheese (I prefer extra sharp cheddar, but do what tastes best for you)
- A tiny loaf of cocktail bread, sliced
- Whatever weird things you put on your grilled cheese, if you’re not a purist
I have a good friend who swears that a tiny bit of dijon mustard on the inside of one piece of bread, and a tiny bit of mayo on the other makes the best grilled cheese they ever had. One day, I’ll do a comparison, but I haven’t yet. Just throwing it out there if you wanted to try it.
Directions (in case you’ve never made a grilled cheese sandwich before):
- Warm a skillet over medium heat
- Butter one side of every slice of bread
- Place a piece of bread, butter side down, in the pan
- Place a slice of cheese just slightly smaller than the size of the bread, and about 1/2 the thickness of a slice on the bread
- Place another piece of bread, butter side up, on the cheese
- Repeat until you have as many sandwiches as you want to make
- Grill until bread browns, flip and grill until the other side browns
- At this point, cheese should have started to ooze out of your sandwiches
- Plate ’em and eat ’em!
2012-02-11 22:17:00 +0000 UTC