Jalapeno poppers, with an upscale twist!
Wanted to make one of my favorite spicy appetizers, but wanted to do something different than the usual cream cheese or regular cheese fillings. I had some Foie Gras mousse in the fridge, so bought some pancetta to add a little more elegance to the filling, and came up with this!
Prep time: 10-20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- As many Jalapeños as you like
- Foie Gras (I used the really tasty foie gras mousse from D’Artagnan)
- Thinly sliced Pancetta
- Cheese (I used cheddar and jack)
- Core the Jalapeños
- Take a piece of pancetta, fold over into a rectangle until slightly wider than the Jalapeño, push the middle slightly into the Jalapeño to form a little cup
- Using a small spoon, scoop a little of the mousse into the Jalapeño, push slightly in, add more mousse
- If you want some cheese as well, cut a long, square piece, and you can use this to push the mousse/pancetta down, chopsticks also work great to help get the ingredients pushed down
- Mix it up, if you want to, and fill all your Jalapeños
- If you don’t have a specialty grill accessory as pictured, use a muffin pan, and tin foil, to hold the Jalapenos upright while grilling
- Grill or broil for 10-15 minutes over medium high heat until cheese is melted, watch carfully so they don’t melt everywhere or burst! The Foie Gras will also melt, don’t want it oozing out over the grill/stove!
- Carefully remove from grill, let cool slightly, and serve!