This is usually made with Beef Brisket, but feel free to mix it up a bit and use a tri-tip, or some other large cut of beef. Often combined with cabbage, potatoes and carrots for Corned Beef and Cabbage, for which I’ll do a recipe on it’s own.
- 3-4 pound piece of beef (brisket or tri-tip)
- 1 Onion, quartered
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Allspice
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp peppercorn
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp ground red pepper
- 1 tsp mustard seed (or substitute 1 tsp ground mustard)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- Put brisket, onions, and garlic cloves in a large pot
- Add water until brisket is covered, plus a little more
- Add all the spices
- Bring water to a boil
- Reduce to low, and simmer for 2-3 hours
- If just making the Corned Beef, you’re done. Serve it up!
- If you’re making Corned Beef and Cabbage, head over there now to finish it up!